Instructor Development Course (IDC)
The Instructor Development Course (IDC) is made up of two parts – the Assistant Instructor (AI) course and the Open Water SCUBA Instructor (OWSI) program. Most dive professionals complete the entire IDC and go on to attend an Instructor Examination (IE), which is the final step to earn a PADI Instructor certification.
Dive professionals who hold an instructor rating with another diver training organization may be eligible to enroll directly in the OWSI program. This recognizes prior instructor training and provides a path to become a PADI Instructor.
• Certified diver for at least 6 months
• PADI Divemaster or qualifying leadership-level certification
• Documentation of any non-PADI certifications as required
• Logged 60 dives to start training
• Logged 100 dives to attend the Instructor Examination
• EFR Primary and Secondary Care, or qualifying training, within the past 24 months
• Evaluated and cleared for diving by a physician within the past 12 months and have had no changes to medical condition
• Minimum age of 18